When American society was still segregated, scores of gifted African-American athletes
from Virginia received nurturing and interscholastic competition thanks to the
Virginia Interscholastic Association.
The VIA provided opportunities for African-American high schools to participate in a number of athletic competitions with other African-American high schools in the state of Virginia. Sports were an integral component of students’ lives in high school and an opportunity for students to build teamwork skills and showcase their athletic abilities. The VIA’s partnerships with Virginia State University, Virginia Union University, Hampton, and St. Paul’s College also expanded collegiate opportunities for athletes. The VIA produced some of the best athletes in the state that would go on to break records, win a number of championships and enter professional sports leagues. The VIA was preceded by the Virginia Interscholastic Athletic League (VIAL) with a focus on sports.
Sports: Football, Basketball, Baseball, Golf, Tennis, and Track and Field.
- VIAL Basketball Eligibility List - 1953-54
- VIAL Track Season Results - 1953-54
- VIAL Eligibility List - 1953-54
- Results from Track and Field Meet in Petersburg, VA - May 1, 1954
- VIAL Track and Field Report - December 3, 1954
- Basketball Results - 1963-64
- Letter Requesting Sports Eligibility for a Student - September 29, 1964
- VIA Football Season Record - 1957 and 1965
- Girl’s Athletic Association Report - 1965
- Minutes of VIA Girls Coaches Meeting - December 4, 1965
- VIAL Track and Field Records